January 22, 2010

Welcome To The Land Of Confusion

You know that song right? It has been running through my head all day.

That is where I have been all day. Dazed and confused.

I was very excited going into work. This was a big day. My manager was
meeting with the VP to discuss the possibility of my promotion.

It would be the first of many meetings; VP would have to meet with
Senior VP, Treasurer, etc Nothing would be decided today, but still
very exciting first step.

I was blissfully breezing through my morning despite all my associates
asking stupid questions. It's Friday, been a tough week, people are
tired, it happens right?

Wham! E-mail from my manager.

My head spins as I read the title. FW: New ABC Positions (Not the
position I have been drooling over)

Read down a little more. Company is starting a new department. They
need two managers and are looking for internal applicants.

The personal message from my manager reads; 'Just for you to see if
you are interested.'

My heart is in my throat reading the attached job descriptions. Wow!

I'm dazed reading the description, I don't know if I can do this. A
manager position?!

Take a deep breath, and then confusion sets in. What about the System
Admin position?

Guess when it rains, it pours right?

My first thought is to jump online and send a quick post, but check
that reaction.

Ok. So what do I do with all this crazy running around my head? I need
to talk to someone about all this!

I want to jump up and talk about this and everything with my manager,
but know she is pretty much booked solid today. And I have a million
things I need to do to catch up on my desk.

My head is swimming and all the little interuptions from associates
aren't helping.

I decided I would just print the stuff out, go to lunch, decompress,
read it about a million times this weekend, gather my thoughts, and
meet with my manager to discuss it next week. Ya know, the sensible
road instead of the freak the hell out one. Progress right?

To make sure I have every scrap of information I can possibly get, I
hop online and go to the internal job posting board. The information
there is the same sent in the email. Check for info about the system
admin job, doing my due diligence and gathering my scraps, but not
surprisingly its not posted yet.

Quick check of my managers calendar to see when she is available on
Monday. The meeting with the VP is gone!!! WTF?

Quick check of his calendar, (yes, I am a very nosy bitch, but WTF!!!)
and he is scheduled for a different meeting. Ok, I can breath again.

Scan their calendar, it hasn't been rescheduled. Damn!

Land of confusion seems to be my new home.

Still; I brought everything home to review and obsess over this
weekend. I will meet with my manager next week to discuss the other
positions, and maybe by that time I will have figured out a way to
bring the System Admin position into the discussion.

--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments:

Post a Comment