January 21, 2010

Crazy Merry Go Round of Cars

Let me start with an introduction of the players because it is gonna
get confusing fast and I need it as a cheat sheet for their assumed
names.

Baby Girl: my sister who had the sweet but of nuffin the day before
thanksgiving.

Bloggy SIL: my sister in law of Hubbys side. A fellow blogger and
accidental mom of five.

Shutter Bug: Hubbys brother, married to Bloggy SIL.

Soccer Mom: Bloggy SIL older sister.

Ok. We have all the players I have yet to blog about or name I think.

The crazy car swapping started with Baby Girl selling Hubby her
beloved car about year and a half ago.

Hubby previously drove a big red truck. It had a V8 and got about 14
miles to the gallon. After changing jobs a few times he started at his
curent company where a truck was not required.

Baby Girl decided that she needed to give up her beloved little green
car for a SUV with 4 wheel drive that could handle the hill her house
is situated on when it is covered in snow and ice. Perfect timing, we
bought it and Hubby gave up Big Red.

Shutter Bug and Bloggy SIL found out they were suddenly against all
the odds pregnant again. With twins. Again. They traded their SUV for
a mini van that could carry their family of seven. They kept Shutter
Bugs red covertible.

The red convertible is old and has spent almost as much time in my
garage as my van has. They need to have two cars and with the limited
budget that comes with five kids, it keeps getting fixed. Its most
recent visit was to have a new engine put in.

During the pick up of the three older girls who had the sleepover
Shutter Bug mentioned that Soccer Mom's hubby got a new van and would
like to give them their old one. Yay! Thank you for the generous offer
to Shutter Bug and Bloggy SIL.

Hubby calls me later while he is picking up his contacts and tells me
Shutter Bug and Bloggy SIL would like to give us the red convertible.
It needs a new home since they have the new van; and the convertible
thinks our of garage as its second home so it would be happy to make
it a permanent home.

I was too sick to care so I said fine. It is a very nice offer. Thank you.

Hubby then tells me the details of the change as he sees it happening.
He will take the red convertible, and I will drive the little green
car. We will keep the van for those times that we need extra room.
(Read this as his car for his band equipment.)

He will take me out driving this coming weekend to teach me to drive
stick and then finally replace the clutch with the new one that has
been collecting dust in our garage since he said the orginal one was
going about five months ago.

Let me just point out here that I owned a motorcycle for years before
divorcing Ex Husband. So even though I have never driven a car with a
manual trans, I am not a stranger to driving stick.

Ok, so back to car saga. I am not sure I want the events to unfold as
Hubby thinks they should. I am not sure I am willing to give up my
monster for the little green car.

Is my monster ready for retirement? Yes. Have I talked about getting a
small car again like the one I gave up to get the monster? Yes, I
have. Does the monster have more miles on it then the green car? About
50K and getting more every day. So what's my problem right?

It is a two door; I have two kids that I drop off at Daycare everyday
while they are sleeping. Not so easy to do with a two door car. It
also doesn't have remote start. Call me a spoiled brat, but I require
remote start. When the temp is 5- or 102 it is really nice to get into
a car that is neither freezing cold or burning hot with a push of a
button.

But most of all, I don't want to to be them. That crazy red neck
family that passes around cars and never has a decent one. And damn it
I work hard and bring home a good pay check. I deserve to have some
nice things.

To be fair, my beast is only a couple years old. We bought it used
with 23K on it. It was previously owened by a rental company so it was
only 6 months old when we got it. We still have to make 9 more
payments on it and it has 175K miles on it so will have no trade in
value. I get it. I'm hard on cars. I drive 140 miles each day so the
miles add up quick. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't have a car I
like.

I am not looking for a brand new car with all the bells and whisles. I
am just looking for a car that hasn't been handed down a million
times. I know that by buying a used car that it is in theory a hand me
down, but it is one I chose, not one I get by default.

Update: During my sick time, Hubby and I had lots of time to discuss
this. He has come to understand my concerns and has agreed to give it
more thought. I agreed to drive the little green car a few times to
see if I fall in love with it like I did with the rental car I had
while the trans was being replaced on the beast.

Either way, I am going to continue to drive the beast for a few months
while the dust settles and we make a final decision. At least one good
thing came out of being so sick.

--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments:

Post a Comment