January 21, 2010

Back from Hell

I'm back from hell I think. I thought I was better on Sunday, and.even
though my stomach wasn't completely settled went into work on Monday.
Bad move. My stomach revolted Tuesday morning and continued to revolt
until early yesterday.

As of right now I am feeling ok and heading back to my other hell. I
probably should take an additional day to ensure my stomach won't
suddenly decide on round three, but that just isn't an option.

My partner in crime called again. She called in sick yesterday as well.

My manager commented in the past that if I am sick one day that she
will also be sick within a week. Not with the same thing, something
else.

I should mention that even though we are good friends, I am also her
Lead. I am asked to help with her evaluations. I've been up front with
her about this.

That I seperate our friendship for our work relationship. At lunch and
after work we talk about personal stuff, but while at work, I have to
be her Lead over her friend. I don't talk with her about work related
things that stem from my position. Just general things anyone in the
department is privy to.

She wants to be considered the open postion we are interviewing for.
Last week she looked at me like I just beat her puppy when I told her
no, that I couldn't give her my recommendation for the position But
this is why! I tried to explain why to her as best I could, but it is
a very fine line.

And damn it; it's hard!

I know things as a friend that I might not know as a co-worker/lead.

Yesterday she texted me that she went to the doctor on Tuesday, and
the today she said she went yesterday. Get your stories straight girl!

Also, just a tip, don't send me facebook shit, and play on facebook
for 6 hours when you are too sick to come to work! I have mentioned
this to her as a friend before. But each time it keeps happening.

How do I not let things like this impact my opinion of her as her
lead? I haven't mentioned it to my manager, because these are things
that fall into the friendship category. But knowing all this, and the
position she is applying for, I just can't give her my recommendation.

So where is the line? Between friendship and work. At what point am I
doing a disservice to the company and our friendship?

And how do I reconcile them with the promotion that I might (fingers
crossed and holding my breath) get?

As the system administrator I will be responsible for her evaluations
and not just consulted on them.

I want to tell her about the possibility of my promotion, because I
know she would be estatic for me. But it is info that I am privy to
because of my position. Even though I shouldn't know about it.

Damn! What a fucking mess. And I thought I was done with hell for
today at least.

--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments:

Post a Comment