January 13, 2010

A Glimpse Into My Weekends

Angel cakes will be starting kindergarten in the fall. Wait. What? Wow! That really is a scary statement.

Like many parents with children this age, we have the magnetic letters and numbers on the fridge. We play a game where we create words and work out the phonics and definition of the word. Then change a letter or two to make new words.

She decided she wanted to play this weekend while I was making breakfast. We started out with ick, which morphed during play into ucky. I should have seen it coming at this point, but I didn't.

I heard her say that she wanted the pink letter so I turned to see her new word. I was suddenly too busy cooking to do the phonics and define the word. But not before snapping a quick pic with my phone to share with you and blackmail her with when she becomes a teenager.






That should have served as a warning to how my day was going to go, but it didn't. My amazing powers of observation were still waiting for the coffee to kick in.

I got started on the Mt Everest pile of laundry that is a week worth of clothes for my family. Quick sort for stray toys and shoes that inevitably find their way in, and throw a load in the washer, and back to making breakfast.

I get about half the clothes into the drier when I see this white stuff on the clothes. Thinking it is just a stray piece of paper I missed, I shake the clothes off and keep going. Wrong! I pull out a pair of Buckaroo's pants that suddenly weigh 5 lbs. A pair of pull ups was stuck in jammy pants sent home from Daycare. Ok everyone with me now..... Ewww!!!!

I have to assume for my peace of mind that they were clean and dry when he took them off otherwise they would have been thrown out right? I mean she has never sent home a pair of pull ups before, but they had to be clean right?

I pull all the clothes out shaking them off as best I can. Spend half an hour cleaning all the little gel pellets that they put in diapers to make them super absorbent out of my washer and drier. Disinfect my drier and run the washer three times with bleach and soap getting more little pellets each time before attempting to wash the same clothes again.

During this experience, because it really is an experience; I keep hearing the Lonestar song Mr Mom run through my head. 'Pampers melt in the Maytag drier.' I can't help wondering how they got to the drier with out this crazy mess.

Look at the clock; its not even 10 AM and it has been a Fucky day. Think to myself, this is why I drive 70 miles each way to work and back.

No comments:

Post a Comment