February 1, 2010

Hair Update

I look in the mirror and see a stranger. I am still really upset by
how short it is vs what I asked for. Leaving that aside, I had a lot
of reactions from people at work. My hair is the latest gossip I
guess. Every one is so used to seeng me with long or shoulder lentgh
hair after I've donated it, that this caused quite a stir today.

I had several people that heard others talking about my hair or seen
me walk down the hall stop at my desk to comment on it. They are
people I say hi to in the hall or see in the elevator, but don't
really know or work with. The extra attention feels pretty good
because everyone has such positive things to say, but it also makes me
more conscience of how short it is. Adding to it is that I didn't do
anything with it today.

I woke up 15 minutes after the time I normally leave. Since my hair
was washed three times yesterday, I didn't wash it today before
running out the door. I washed it in the shower before leaving for the
salon, they insisted on washing it again at the salon, and I washed it
again when I got home yesterday. So out the door I went with my new
slept in hair. I didn't even run a brush through it before I walked in
the door at work. It does get points for that at least.

I had a few people tell me they liked it, but I could tell it was more
the obligatory nice then the genuine nice. It was mostly from the
people who loved my hair long and threatened to cut it off for
themselves though. There were more compliments where they were so
shocked you could tell didn't realize what they were saying or seeing.
My favorite one, that makes me smile every time I think about it came
from my twenty something coworker as she was walking in the door. When
seeing me walk down the hall, she first had to call out my name to
make sure it was really me, then said 'It actually looks good!' I
laughed so hard, you could tell she didn't mean it the way it sounded,
she was just so shocked.

I was prepared for the mixed reviews, what I can't believe is how many
people asked me what my hubby thought. You could tell some were
concerned that Hubby would hate it, but the others were the ones that
made me laugh. Their tone implied that I would need his approval to
get my hair cut this short. I really hope I don't talk about Hubby in
such a way that all those people didn't think he would be anything but
supportive of anything I do. Yes, we have our fights and he can be an
inconsiderate jerk sometimes, but so can I. I may hate him and his
bands at times, but there are just as many times as he hates me and my
job. Its called being married. More then anything we love each other
and support each other.

I don't think I will know his true opinion on my hair for months.
Right now he knows I am too upset and need him to be loving and
compliment the shit out of it, because there really is nothing I can
do about it until it grows out some. So he will continue to let me put
my head on his chest and whine that I want my hair back. He may tease
and say that he is my bitch now that my hair is shorter then his, but
only when I am already laughing.

Damn it, how did this post go from all about me to being about him?
Anyway, I am still going to give it a few weeks for me to get
accustomed to my hair and learn to do something with it, and then
maybe I will feel brave enough to post a shot of the front. I will
make a decision when I am not PMSy. Now where did that chocolate go?

--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments:

Post a Comment