March 25, 2010

Black Hole Of Time

Facebook. Need I say more.

I swear when you log in to Facebook you are really logging into a
black hole of time. You log in thinking I have five minutes to kill,
blink your eyes to clear the glassy haze and realize you have been on
for hours. You didn't do much, checked in with a few friends, waded
through your requests, and maybe checked the status of your farm,
zoo, mafia, fish, or whatever. How can that take so many hours?
I logged on this weekend to check the status of people I know and care
about, some of them I don't talk to on a daily basis, others I just
want to see what funny shit they were talking about today. I scrolled
through the page to see everyone's updates and realized that I didn't
see one update from the people I logged in to check. What I did see is
a bunch of people I haven't talked to see middle school, game updates,
and people I don't know, but added to get a better score on a game.

I did what I have done for the last year, went up to the top and
searched for them in my list 500+ friends. After searching for the
third person I realized how ridiculous it truly was. I don't play the
games anymore, why am I still friends with all these people? I don't
care about what they are doing, we haven't formed a lasting
friendship, we just used each other to get better at a game. I should
just delete them.

So began the over two hour process. No, I am not kidding, I only wish
I were. It took me that long to weed out all the game people, friends
of a friend, etc. I know I ended deleting a few people I will have to
add back because I deleted them in the frenzy, but I am down to a nice
reasonable 47.

While I had a little time yesterday, I logged into the site on my
laptop instead of using my phone. I was tickled to see my main page
full of information from my edited list of friends. I saw in the right
corner I had over 87 gifts and requests. I used to play a couple of
games that generate lots of gifts or requests for gifts. I open it and
click ignore on almost all of them and respond to a few others. I
returned to the main page and refreshed the main page because it took
me 45 minutes to wade through the requests. I didn't have my mouse,
just the stupid touch pad, and got distracted a couple of times. Don't
judge me. Look in the corner to see how many requests I left to deal
with later, there were over 87 more! Thinking that the page just
didn't update correctly, I refreshed it again. Nope there are really
more. Same process three more times and there are still 87 new items.
All new items each time. Yes, I blocked the apps that are generating
all these items, they are the back log of requests.

I had the app on my phone for the longest time, but I wasn't using it
so I removed it. After this week, I decided to just download it again
so I never have to log onto the full site again to see the requests
taunting me and can't suck me into the black hole of time.

--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments:

Post a Comment