September 16, 2009

The Parent Voice

I really need to find the Parent Voice. You know the voice I am talking about; that stop you dead in your tracks voice. My Dad has that voice. Once when I stayed with my dad for a few days while visiting his side of the family it didn't matter that I was in my 20's, he lived half a continent away for most of my life, and we only saw him every few years, he spoke to a friend's child in that voice and I snapped to attention and felt guilty even though I was just drinking coffee.

I don't have that voice. I say my kids names in what I think is the Parent Voice because they are doing something wrong and not listening when I ask them to stop and they look at me like "Yeah? And?" I wish I knew where to get that voice, it might make my kids pay attention for a second anyway.

Although; the Parent Voice would probably have to fight for space with all the other voices in my head; but maybe because it is the Parent Voice it can just give The Look and make the other voices stop and pay attention. Yeah; I really need a Parent Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment