April 22, 2010

Things My Kids Taught Me

‘Oh no! The scary Graveyard of Dooom!’ Angel Cakes piped in from the back seat as we drove past the tiny cemetery in town. In case you are wondering like I was, it is the ‘Graveyard of Dooom’ because they might come back as ghosts. Yes, it can happen at any cemetery, not just ours.


This prompted a whole discussion about people dying and how they are buried. I’m sure it is because she heard me tell Daycare Lady that I am going to the wake today and funeral on Friday. It was just so sweet when she asked if she could go to the funeral with me because I was going to be sad and she wanted to be there to give me hugs to make me feel better. It took all my will power not to pull the car over and snuggle her close.

Buckaroo asked if he got to say goodbye to Great Grandpa when he died. Of course he didn’t because I was pregnant with him at the time. He got the saddest look on his face. Great Grandpa was hurting because he is dead, and that makes him sad is what he told me

Lesson learned? Don’t talk about death and funerals in the car. You can’t reach over and hug your kids until they scream they can’t breathe if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment